Sweet Rice is a special dessert made with the basmati rice, sugar, coconut, black raisins and many more flavored ingredients. This dish is specially made for celebrating Chetichand, a big festival or a new year of lovely Sindhi community. The great main course dish to be served with sai bhaji (spinach) or bhee aloo.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 5 cups water
- 1 cup small sugar
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds
- 2 green cardamoms crushed
- 2-3 black peppercorns
- 2 tsp dried coconut slices (khopra/kopra)
- 3 tbsp black raisins (dhaakh)
- 2 tbsp ghee
- Few drops food color (orange/red/yellow)
- 2 tbsp mixed nuts chopped (almonds, cashew nuts, pistachio)
- Few saffron strands (soaked in 1 cup milk)
- 1/2 tsp salt
How to make Sweet Rice:
- Wash and soak the rice in normal water for about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile heat a big vessel and melt the ghee.
- Add crushed cardamoms, fennel seeds and peppercorns.
- Saute for few seconds, now add slices of coconut, black raisins and water.
- Mix well and add sugar.
- Stir until sugar dissolves completely.
- Now add soaked rice along with the water.
- Stir with the salt, cook on high flame for 4-5 minutes.
- Simmer the gas and add food color and saffron with the milk.
- Mix well, cover the vessel when 3/4th water is evaporated.
- Finally mix with the chopped nuts.
- Serve hot with Sindhi sai bhaji. WOW! YUMMY!
- It would be advisable to use orange food color, it’s because sweet rice gets a nice and attractive color.
- If you are using powder form of food color, then dilute it in the water and then mix in the rice, so that it will spread evenly in whole rice.
- The another way of making this delicious sweet rice is, boil the rice first and then mix with remaining ingredients.
- You can use nuts and dry fruits of your choice.
- Sugar can be substituted with jaggery (gur).