Sweet Tinda is famously known as Indian round gourd, apple gourd or Indian baby pumpkin. You will rarely see ready made tinda pickle in pickle stores. But now a days seasonal tinda are available in the market and many people have asked me a proper way of making this pickle at home, so here is the recipe for you.
Yield: 12 servings
- 1-1/2 kg tinda (peeled and sliced)
- 6 tsp mustard powder
- 2 – 3 medium size Onions (Pyaj)
- 1 cup Tamarind (Imli)
- 2 tsp ground spices
- 2-1/2 tsp Red chili pepper (Lal Mirchi)
- 2 cups Mustard Oil (Sarson Ka Tel)
- 1-1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1-1/2 cups jaggery (gud)
- 3 tsp ground Ginger (Adrak)
- 10 cloves garlic sliced
- 1 cup Vinegar (Sirka)
- 2 tbsp honey
- 40 gm Salt (Namak)
How to make Sweet Tinda Pickle:
- Soak the tamarind in vinegar for 20 minutes.
- Chop the onion coarsely and grind with ginger.
- Heat the oil until smoky and fry garlic along with onion paste until light brown.
- Add ginger, Red chili pepper , and slices of tinda.
- Stir fry on medium flame and mix the remaining ingredients.
- Cook for 4-5 more minutes, till the tinda turns little soft.
- Cool the pickle and then put in sterilized bottle/jar.
- Put a tight lid on the jar and shake the bottle daily.
- You can serve this pickle after 6-7 days.
- Store it at room temperature for few days and then refrigerate for keeping it for a long time.