Arbi or Arvi Pickle is a relished accompaniment with any Indian meal. You just need to gather some fresh spices, seeds and mustard oil for making homemade arbi pickle.
Yield: 15 servings
- 1 kg arbi / arvi
- 3 tsp red chili pepper (Lal Mirchi)
- 1 small piece mace
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 3 tbsp ground spices
- 2-1/2 tsp ground methi seeds
- 2 cups Mustard Oil (Sarson Ka Tel)
- 4 tsp ground aniseed
- 1 cup Vinegar (Sirka)
- 4 tsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp Salt (Namak)
- 4 cups water
How to make Arbi Pickle:
- Heat the water and add little bit of oil.
- Boil the arbi in salted water until tender.
- Drain and cool aside.
- Peel the boiled arbi and press little bit to fill the spices very well.
- Also make some holes with a knife.
- Heat mustard oil and fry the arbi in it.
- Remove from the fire and mix salt, aniseed, lemon juice, vinegar, ground spices, Red chili pepper and methi seeds.
- Also add nutmeg, mace and cook for few minutes on low flame until it leaves the oil.
- Cool the pickle and then store in an airtight jar.
- Serve after 3-4 days.
- You cans store this pickle for 2 weeks in summer season and appx. for 2 months during the winter.