My favorite monsoon season has arrived and I really don’t want to miss my Stuffed Sour Mango Pickle, because still good mangoes are available in the market. Here is a tangy condiment recipe from North Indian cuisine that will surely bring water in your mouth.
Yield: 10 servings
- 1 kg raw Mangoes (Aam)
- Good amount of Mustard Oil (Sarson Ka Tel) to cover the Mangoes (Aam)
- 4 tbso fenugreek seeds
- 2 tsp hymol seeds
- 2 tbsp grams mustard powder
- 2 tsp Turmeric (Haldi)
- 2 tsp Onions seeds (Kalonji)
- 2-1/2 tsp ground spices
- 1-1/2 tbsp Red chili pepper (Lal Mirchi)
- 2-1/2 tsp aniseed
- 125 grams Salt (Namak)
How to make Stuffed Sour Mango Pickle :
- Roast fenugreek seeds, aniseed and onion seeds for few seconds.
- Allow the seeds to cool down and then grind coarsely.
- Wash the mangoes in normal tap water and slit each into 4-6 pieces.
- Remove the stone and keep together at the bottom.
- Take a small bowl and mix ground spices, salt, red chilli pepper, turmeric, mustard powder.
- Add little bit of oil to and a thick paste.
- Fill the prepared masala paste into the mangoes.
- Carefully arrange the stuffed mangoes in a clean jar so that masala paste should not come out.
- Pour enough mustard oil to cover the stuffed mangoes.
- Put a tight lid on the jar and keep under the sun for 5-6 days.
- Shake the jar on every other day for the proper preparation of pickle.
- Keep the jar at room temperature until mango turns soft and pickle tenders.