Lemon Pickle In Oil is one of the most favorite pickle of my family. I generally make it easily and quickly whenever I get fresh lemon in the market. Since this pickle is made in fresh mustard oil, you can store it for many months.
Yield: 15 servings
- 2 kg Lemons (Nimbu)
- 200 gm ginger
- 2-3 pieces of asafoetida
- 50 gm mustard seeds
- 4 cups mustard oil (Sarson Ka Tel)
- 150 gm whole fresh red chillies (Lal Mirchi)
- 4-6 tsp Red chili pepper (Lal Mirchi)
- 1 cup fresh Lemon (Nimbu) juice
- 100 gm methi seeds
- 300 gm salt
How to make Lemon Pickle in Oil:
- Wash the lemons and pat dry with clean kitchen napkin.
- Slit each into 4-6 long slices and run a knife to make some holes.
- Pack the lemon with some salt and keep aside for few minutes till lemon tenders.
- Heat mustard oil until smoky and immediately remove from fire.
- Add whole pieces of asafoetida and crush it with a spoon.
- Add chilli powder and stir continue to get a good red color.
- Add mustard seeds and stir for a little while.
- Remove from the fire and mix red chillies, ginger and lemons.
- Again keep the vessel on low flame and cook until little tenders.
- Roast the methi seeds in a separate saucepan and grind into a smooth powder.
- Stir methi seed powder in the pickle and cook for 3-5 more minutes.
- Remove the pickle from fire, allow to cool and then pack it in air tight jar.