Sweet Turnip And Carrot Pickle is a combined flavor of turnip and carrot. This pickle is spiced up with whole spices and mixed with selected dry dates.
Yield: 15 servings
- 1-1/2 kg Turnips (Shalgam) (cubed)
- 1 kg Carrots (Gajar) (peeled and scraped) (cut into long slices)
- 2 cups Mustard Oil (Sarson Ka Tel)
- 2 tsp Cinnamon (Dalchini) powder
- 1 cup gm Tamarind (Imli)
- 100 gm jaggery
- 40 gm dry Dates (Khajoor)
- 2 tsp ground white Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- 40 gm Red chili pepper (Lal Mirchi)
- 1 cup ground Mustard seeds (Rai/Sarson)
- 2 big Onions (Pyaj) chopped
- 15 cloves of Garlic (Lasun) minced
- 2 inch Ginger (Adrak) minced
- 4 tsp Vinegar (Sirka)
- Salt (Namak) to taste
How to make Sweet Turnip and Carrot Pickle:
- Soak tamarind and dry dates in individual bowl of water for 8-10 hours.
- Mash the tamarind and take out pulp from it.
- Cut the dates in long slices and remove the stones.
- Heat the oil in a pan and fry onion, ginger and garlic.
- Add tamarind pulp and dry dates.
- Mix very well by adding turnip and carrots.
- Season the pickle with salt and spices.
- Make a thick syrup of jaggery with a cup of water and mix into the pickle.
- Put the pickle in a clean jar and pour vinegar all over on the pickle.
- Put a tight lid on the jar and keep under the sun for 5-6 days.
- Shake the jar daily 1-2 times until the pickle sets.
- Serve after 10 days.