Lemon Pickle South Indian is the most famous South Indian pickle, made with lots of lemon, mustard seeds and flavorful spices.
Yield: 15 servings
- 1 kg Lemons (Nimbu)
- 1-1/2 cups Mustard Oil (Sarson Ka Tel)
- 4 tsp Mustard seeds (Rai/Sarson)
- 3 tsp fenugreek seeds, powdered
- 3 tsp Red chili pepper (Lal Mirchi)
- 1 cup Sugar (Cheeni)
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida
- 2 tsp Lemon (Nimbu) juice
- 3/4 cup Salt (Namak)
How to make Lemon Pickle South Indian:
- Cut each lemon into 6-8 pieces and rub salt very well.
- Keep the lemons in an air tight jar for 6-8 days and shake daily, so that salt mixed good with lemons.
- Heat mustard oil in a pan just for few seconds and then remove from the flame.
- Cool and then add crushed asafoetida and mustard seeds.
- Cover the pan and cool a little.
- Finally mix the pieces of lemon, fenugreek powder, sugar, lemon juice and chilli powder.
- Keep for one week before serving.