Lemon Pickle (Gujarati) is the special Gujarati pickle recipe, can be easily made at home with fresh, seasonal lemon and spices.
Yield: 20 servings
- 2 kg Lemons (Nimbu)
- 2 tsp asafoetida
- 4 tsp Turmeric (Haldi)
- 5 tsp Red chili pepper (Lal Mirchi)
- 1 kg Sugar (Cheeni)
- 1 cup Salt (Namak)
How to make Lemon Pickle (Gujarati):
- Cut each lemon into halfway through.
- Mix salt and turmeric powder very well and stuff into lemons.
- Put the stuffed lemons in an air tight jar/ bottle and store them at least for a month.
- Slowly and gradually, lemons will start leaving some water.
- Drain the water after a month and cut each lemon into 4-6 pieces.
- Mix the asafoetida, red chilli pepper and sugar in 1/2 cup of water and pour over the lemons, placed in jar.
- Cork very tightly and keep shaking for one week.
- Your pickle will be ready to eat after 7-8 days.
- You can store this pickle for one year.
- It is important to refrigerate this pickle, if keeping for long time.