Gujarati Dal is a unique but very tasty dal recipe, simply made with arhar dal and the flavors are little complex and gives a sweet and tangy hint of spice. Gujarati Dal is a refreshing change from the other everyday dal recipes.
Most Gujarati food recipes contains jaggery or sugar and you will find a hint of sweetness in their everyday meals. Hence Gujarati food is unique and loved by all. Let’s see how to make this unique type of dal recipe at home.
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 2 cups arhar dal (split red gram lentil)
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida
- 1 medium size onion thinly chopped
- 2 tomatoes chopped/purred
- 2-3 green chillies chopped
- 1 inch ginger chopped
- 1/2 tsp shah jeera seeds
- 2 tbsp tamarind water
- 1 tsp sugar or half tsp honey
- 1/2 tbsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tbsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- A pinch of dry mango powder
- 2-3 black peppercorns
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 2 cloves
- 1 tsp butter/ghee
- Salt to taste
- Fresh cilantro thinly chopped
How to make Gujarati Dal:
- Soak the arhar dal for 2-3 hours in sufficient amount of water.
- Heat up a pressure cooker and melt the ghee or butter in it.
- Add cinnamon, peppercorns, cloves, shah jeera and asafoetida.
- Stir for a minute on medium high flame.
- Add finely chopped onion, ginger and green chillies.
- Saute until onion translucent.
- Add soaked dal, salt and red chilli powder.
- Also add 1 cup of water.
- Mix very well and cover the pressure cooker with any lid just for few minutes.
- Leave to cook for about 3-4 minutes on medium high flame.
- After few minutes add tomatoes, honey/sugar, turmeric powder and coriander powder.
- Mix very well and add 1-1/2 cups of water.
- Cover the pressure cooker tightly with its lid and wait for 6-7 whistles.
- Uncover and check out if water is evaporated then you may need to add some more water.
- Keep on medium high flame and finally garnish dal with cilantro, dry mango powder and tamarind water.
- Allow to cook just for few boils.
- Serve hot with steamed or jeera rice.
- This dal is special Gujarati delicacy because of its unique ingredients, just like honey and butter. Hence it is necessary to use all the above ingredients to get the true taste of Gujarati dal.
- You may add water as per your desired requirement, but if is more preferable to make dal of medium thick consistency.