Dal Makhani is one of the popular Indian dal dish, considered as a spicy and heavy dal preparation, cooked with a combination of rajma and urad dal. The taste is simply very good, but it is heavy because of some ingredients, hence you must take it in a proper moderation.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 1/2 cup Whole black gram (sabut urad)
- 2 tablespoon Red kidney beans (rajma)
- 1 tsp butter
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 4-5 curry leaves
- 1inch ginger minced
- 4-5 cloves garlic minced or chopped
- 4 green chillies chopped
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- little bit of turmeric powder
- 1 whole dry red chilli (broken in 2-3 pieces)
- Fresh cilantro chopped
- Salt to taste
How to make Dal Makhani:
- Wash and soak dals in water for about 15 minutes.
- Pressure cook it in 2 cups of water by adding little salt.
- Open the lid of pressure cooker and keep it on medium flame.
- Add red chilli powder and turmeric powder.
- Higher the flame and add 1/2 cup of water.
- After few minutes check the dal, stir and reduce the flame.
- Make sure the consistency of dal should be thick and not thin.
- When you observe that dal is almost done than heat a saucepan and add butter.
- Add curry leaves, cumin and mustard seeds. Saute well.
- Add green chillies, dried red chilli and ginger-garlic paste.
- Mix well and pour this tempering in dal.
- Wait for 2-3 boils and add fresh cilantro.
- Serve Sindhi style dal makhani with plain Indian roti or puri.
- You can add chopped onion and tomatoes to enhance more flavors.
- After sometime this dal becomes thick, that’s why try to serve it immediately or while serving if you notice that it is too thick to serve then add little bit of boiling water and adjust with the salt and red chilli powder.