Rajma are Red Kidney Beans cooked in a rich and spicy gravy and then served with hot steamed rice. The preparation is specially done in the authentic North Indian style. Rajma is one of the most famous recipe of Punjabi Cuisine where it is to be served along with the cooked rice which is famous to known as rajma chawal.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 1 cup rajma (red kidney beans)
- 2 onions thinly chopped
- 5-6 tomatoes chopped
- 5-6 green chillies chopped
- 2 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1-1/2 tsp rajma masala powder (store bought)
- 1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp oil or ghee
- Fresh coriander leaves chopped
- Salt to taste
How to make Rajma:
- Wash and soak the rajma overnight in the water.
- Next morning pressure cook the rajma with 4 cups of water and little bit of salt for 6-8 whistles.
- Heat up the pan and add oil.
- When the oil starts heating then add cumin and fennel seeds. Allow to crackle.
- Now add bay leaf, saute with the seeds.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and green chillies. Saute for few more seconds.
- Add the onions and fry until onion turns into nice golden color.
- Add the tomatoes, salt, red chilli powder and turmeric powder.
- Mix well and cook until tomatoes are tender enough.
- Add the cooked rajma, coriander powder, rajma masala powder and lemon juice.
- Simmer the flame for 3-4 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve with the rice.
- For enjoying rajma chawal you can mix the cooked rice in the cooked rajma and can serve together.
- If you do not get rajma masala powder then add garam masala or kitchen king. Still the taste will be very good.
- If you are in hurry or forgot to keep the rajma for soaking overnight, then you can soak them for 20-30 minutes in lukewarm water and then boil and cook in the gravy.