Paneer Lababdar is a rich and creamy recipe cooked in aromatic spicy Indian flavors and red gravy and then garnished with lots of cream and shredded ginger. The word Lababdar truly means this recipe as it is an extremely delicious and non-stop eating dish. Paneer Lababdar is ever-green dish which is ideal to serve in lunch or dinner time.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
- 500 gms malai paneer (cottage cheese)
- 1/2 tsp carom seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 onions chopped
- 5 tomatoes pureed
- 2 dried whole kashmiri red chillies (broken in bits)
- 4 green chillies chopped
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp sesame seeds (white til)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tbsp fresh cream
- 1 tsp unsalted butter
- 1 tsp dried fenugreek leaves (kasuri methi)
- A pinch of turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 1/2 tsp cardamom powder
- 2 tsp canola/sunflower/vegetable oil
- Fresh cilantro chopped
- Few mint leaves chopped
- 1/2 tsp ginger shredded
- Salt to taste
How to make Paneer Lababdar:
- Cut the paneer in small cubes and keep aside.
- Roast the sesame seeds and grind to make a powder.
- Heat the oil in a pan and add carom and cumin seeds. Allow to crackle.
- Now add green chillies and garlic paste. Saute well to take out the raw flavor of garlic.
- Add chopped onions and salt.
- Cook the onions until looks transparent. (It will take about 3 minutes).
- Now add puree of tomatoes, red chilli powder, turmeric powder and cardamom powder.
- Cook for 4-5 minutes until the oil separates and the gravy becomes thick.
- Now add milk and grounded sesame seeds. Stir continue to mix well.
- Wait for few boils and add cubes of paneer.
- Also add garam masala powder. Mix well and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Mash the dried fenugreek leaves with your hands and add into the gravy.
- Mix the fresh cream and leave to cook on low flame.
- On the other gas stove heat a sauce pan and melt the butter in it.
- Add dried kashmiri red chillies and pour into the gravy.
- Do not mix much at this moment.
- Just garnish with fresh cilantro, mint leaves and shredded ginger.
- Serve how with tandoori roti, naan, paratha or kulcha.
- If you are a calorie conscious person then do not add fresh cream, also you may substitute the milk with low fat milk.
- Make sure this gravy should be medium thick and paneer must be soft enough to serve.