Paneer Lababdar is one more famous Punjabi main course dish. Paneer (Indian cottage cheese is cooked in a rich and creamy gravy of onion, tomatoes, milk, cream and spices.
The word Lababdar truly means this recipe as it is an extremely delicious and non-stop eating dish. Paneer Lababdar is ever-green dish and one more best choice to serve in lunch or dinner.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
- 500 gms malai paneer (cottage cheese)
- 1 capsicum, diced (optional)
- 1/2 tsp carom seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 onions chopped
- 5 tomatoes pureed
- 2 dried whole kashmiri red chillies (broken in bits)
- 4 green chillies chopped
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp sesame seeds (white til)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tbsp fresh cream
- 1 tsp unsalted butter
- 1 tsp dried fenugreek leaves (kasuri methi)
- 3/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 1/2 tsp cardamom powder
- 2 tsp canola/sunflower/vegetable oil
- Fresh cilantro chopped
- Few mint leaves chopped
- 1/2 tsp ginger shredded
- Salt to taste
How to make Paneer Lababdar:
- Cut the paneer in small cubes and keep aside.
- Roast the sesame seeds and grind to make a powder.
- Heat the oil in a pan and add carom and cumin seeds. Allow to crackle.
- Now add green chillies and garlic paste. Saute well to take out the raw flavor of garlic.
- Add chopped onions and salt.
- Cook the onions until looks transparent. (It will take about 3 minutes).
- Now add puree of tomatoes, red chilli powder, turmeric powder and cardamom powder.
- Cook for 4-5 minutes until the oil separates and the gravy becomes thick. Stir in diced capsicum.
- Now add milk and grounded sesame seeds. Stir continue to mix well.
- Wait for few boils and add cubes of paneer.
- Also add garam masala powder. Mix well and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Mash the dried fenugreek leaves with your hands and add into the gravy.
- Mix the fresh cream and leave to cook on low flame.
- On the other gas stove heat a sauce pan and melt the butter in it.
- Add dried kashmiri red chillies and pour into the gravy.
- Do not mix much at this moment.
- Just garnish with fresh cilantro, mint leaves and shredded ginger.
- Serve how with tandoori roti, naan, paratha or kulcha.
- If you are a calorie conscious person then do not add fresh cream, also you may substitute the milk with low fat milk.
- Make sure this gravy should be medium thick and paneer must be soft enough to serve.
Recommended Recipes for you: