Caramel Corn is made with the extremely fresh popped corns which are coated with the delicious blend of sugar, butter and corn syrup. These are the perfect candy shells which are ideal to gift the loved ones on the special Christmas eve.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- 2 packets popcorn kernels (100 gms each)
- 500 gms white sugar
- 150 gms brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 150 ml light corn syrup
- 1-1/2 cups water
How to make Caramel Corn:
- In the heating pressure cooker empty the packets of corn kernels.
- Cover with the normal lid and leave the corns to pop up.
- This procedure will take about 4-5 minutes.
- Take the stainless steel plate or bowl, give a touch of non-stick cooking spray.
- Place the popped up corns in the plate or bowl and keep them in the oven to remain warm.
- Heat a sauce pan over medium high heat.
- Combine the water, sugar, salt and corn syrup.
- Bring the mixture to the boil.
- Cover the mixture to break the lumps of the sugar.
- This is a caramel mixture which needs continuous stirring.
- Toss with the butter and stir occasionally.
- Check the temperature of the pan with the help of candy thermometer.
- When it reaches at 250F degrees then switch off the gas.
- Slowly and gradually stir the mixture with the baking soda.
- Pour this mixture over the popcorn and toss on high.
- With the help of heatproof spatula coat the popcorn evenly with the caramel.
- Separate the caramel corns with the help of fork.
- Cool them completely and then place in the air tight containers.
- You can grease the stainless steel bowl or plate with little bit of butter instead of using non-stick cooking spray. We just need to prepare the bowl for keeping the corns warm and sticky free in the oven. So you may use any thing for that.
- You can store these corn caramels for 12-15 days at room temperature, provided to keep in air tight containers.
- After the corn caramels are ready, cool them completely and then only keep in air tight containers, otherwise they will sweat and will become mushy and tasteless.