Paneer Birbali Chaman is the stuffed paneer cooked in the spices and then served on a bed of rich nawabi gravy. It is one of the most famous dish of Punjabi Cuisine. Paneer Birbali is a great main course recipe which has all the delicate flavors and spices.
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 25-30 minutes
- 300 gm paneer
- 2 cups tomato puree
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp gram flour
- 1 tbsp fresh cream
- 8 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp ginger julienned (long thin strips)
- 4 green chilies chopped
- 1/2 tsp mace powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds powder
- 1/2 tsp dried fenugreek (kasuri methi)
- Fresh coriander leaves chopped
- 3-4 mint leaves chopped
- 1 tsp butter
- Oil for shallow fry or stir fry
- Salt to taste
Whole garam masala:
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 2 green cardamoms
- 1 black cardamom
- 2 cloves
- 1/2 tsp poppy seeds
- 3-4 peppercorns
How to make Paneer Birbali Chaman:
- Combine the gram flour and milk to make a thick batter and keep aside.
- Make the triangles of paneer and stir fry in little. Drain and keep aside on paper napkin.
- Heat a deep U shaped pan and melt the butter.
- Add whole garam masala and saute for few seconds.
- Add minced garlic, julienne ginger and green chillies.
- Saute all together for 2-3 minutes on simmer.
- Add tomato puree, salt, mace and cumin seed powder.
- Cover the pan and cook on medium heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Pour the batter of milk and gram flour. Cook until 2-3 boils.
- Stir to make a thick gravy.
- Now add pieces of paneer, mix very gently.
- Add fresh cream, stir for 2 minutes.
- Add kasuri methi, mix well and garnish with chopped coriander and mint leaves.
- Serve hot with butter naan or kulcha.
- For making paneer birbali chaman recipe you can use paneer pieces without frying.
- If you do not want to add milk then you may use its substitute like curd, just need to make it liquid and add gram flour.