Mushroom Masala is a rich and shahi gravy recipe, here mushroom is cooked in rich and aromatic onion paste and masala. This dish also contains a combination of lots of spices and true flavors of Indian herbs. It is an excellent option of main course dish and can be served with rice, tandoori roti or naan.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 35-40 minutes
- 200 gms mushrooms
- 1 big onion sliced
- 4 green chillies
- 1 inch ginger
- 5-6 garlic cloves
- Few curry leaves
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 4 tomatoes thinly chopped
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1-1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp dried fenugreek leaves (kasuri methi)
- Fresh coriander leaves chopped
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1 tsp oil
- Salt to taste
Whole garam masala:
- 1 bay leaf
- 2-3 black peppercorns
- 2-4 cloves
- 1 tsp aniseed
- 1/2 tsp mace
- 1 green cardamom crushed
- 1 black cardamom crushed
How to make Mushroom Masala:
- Chop the mushrooms in medium size pieces and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a kadai and add slices of onion.
- Fry until onion turns into golden brown in color, remove on oil absorbent paper and allow to cool completely.
- Now combine the fried onion, green chillies, ginger and garlic in a grinder.
- Grind and make a smooth paste.
- Heat the same kadai and melt the ghee in it.
- Add whole garam masala, cumin seeds and curry leaves.
- Saute for few seconds and add onion paste.
- Stir constantly to change the color of onion paste.
- After few seconds add thinly chopped tomatoes.
- Mix very well and add salt, red chilli powder and turmeric powder.
- Stir thoroughly until gravy becomes little thick.
- Now add chopped mushrooms along with 1 cup of water.
- Stir the dish with coriander powder, garam masala powder and lemon juice.
- Cover the pan and leave to cook for 6-7 minutes on low flame until mushroom tenders.
- When the nice color of gravy comes out, then garnish the dish with kasuri methi and chopped coriander.
- Serve hot with rice or roti.
- It is advisable to flavor the gravy with whole garam masala instead of garam masala powder, it’s because it brings the true aroma in mushroom masala recipe.
- At the time of serving, smear the dish with a tsp of butter and a tsp of fresh cream and then enjoy restaurant style mushroom masala recipe.