Kadai Mushroom Curry is an exotic preparation of button mushrooms, capsicum, onion paste and tomatoes. Learn to make restaurant style kadai mushroom curry with easy steps and ingredients.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
- 2 cup button mushrooms
- 1 inch ginger piece
- 2-4 garlic cloves
- 4 green chillies
- Few curry leaves
- 1/2 tbsp mustard seeds
- 1 capsicum diced
- 2 onions cut into big chunks
- 2-3 tomatoes paste/puree
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tbsp garam masala powder
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp dried fenugreek (kasuri methi)
- 1 tsp clarified butter (ghee) /oil
How to make Kadai Mushroom Curry:
- Clean the mushrooms in normal water and then soak them in warm water for about 20 minutes.
- Clean with the kitchen napkin and cut them into thin slices.
- Do not remove the stems as they will be used for making this recipe.
- Combine the onion, ginger, garlic and green chillies.
- Grind and make a smooth paste.
- Melt the ghee in a non-stick pan. Add cumin seeds and curry leaves. Allow the seeds to splutter and then add onion paste.
- Saute for few seconds till onion is translucent.
- Add tomato puree, salt and spices. Mix well and cook for 2-3 minutes until ghee begins to separate. Now add capsicum and mushrooms.
- Also add 1 cup of water.
- Mix well and stir with the lemon juice and dried fenugreek.
- Cover the pan, simmer the flame and leave to cook until mushroom tenders. It will take about 10 -12 minutes.
- Finally garnish with fresh cilantro and serve hot with rice or roti.
- You can use thinly chopped onion instead of onion paste and make ginger-garlic paste separately.
- Oil can be used instead of ghee.
- Gravy of Kadai mushroom curry must be medium thick in consistency. It tastes too good.