Shahi Mushroom Recipe is a great preparation of button mushroom, cooked in rich and shahi Indian gravy. The recipe has a blend of Indian spices and flavor of cashew nuts, sesame seeds and fresh cream.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
- 400 gms button mushroom
- 1 cup green peas / Mattar
- 2 onions sliced
- 4 tomatoes (cut into big chunks)
- 2 green chillies
- 1/2 tsp white sesame seeds
- 4-5 cashew nuts
- 5-6 cloves garlic
- 1 inch ginger
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 2-1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 2 tbsp garam masala powder
- A pinch of red-orange food color
- 1 tbsp butter
- 3-1/2 tbsp fresh cream
- 1/4 tsp honey
- 4 tbsp oil
- Fresh cilantro chopped
- Salt to taste
How to make Shahi Mushroom:
- Chop mushrooms in small pieces, rinse and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add whole green chillies, whole cloves of garlic and ginger.
- Saute for few seconds and add slices of onion.
- Shuffle the onion and fry until turns into golden brown color.
- Cool down the fried onion.
- Now in a blender add the fried onion, sesame seeds, cashew nuts and chunks of tomatoes.
- Blend and make a smooth puree.
- Heat the same pan in which onion was fried.
- Add the puree, salt, red chilli powder and turmeric powder.
- Mix well and cover the pan.
- Leave the gravy to cook on low heat until becomes thick.
- Add mushroom, green peas, honey and 1 cup of water.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes and then stir with remaining spices, food color and fresh cream.
- Cook on low flame until mushroom cooked completely.
- Finally add butter and garnish the dish with chopped cilantro.
- Shahi Mushroom is ready to serve with rice, roti or naan.
- I have used fresh mushrooms, whereas canned mushrooms are also fine.
- You may garnish this shahi dish with chopped nuts of your choice.
- Sugar can be added instead of honey.