Sindhi Kadhi is a delicious and nutritious mix of several vegetables, served with rice. This tangy Kadhi is made with roasted besan, (gram flour) and tomatoes. Kadhi Rice is the most favorite dish of majority of Sindhis and this Sindhi kadhi is the most wonderful example where all the vegetables are used beautifully to complement each other in taste, texture and color.
Yield: 4 servings
Ingredients required for making Sindhi Kadhi :
- 4 tbsp besan (bengal gram flour)
- A pinch of asafoetida
- Few curry leaves
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds (methi dana)
- 2 small potatoes (cut into big cubes)
- 1 drumstick (cut into 1½ inch pieces)
- 10 ladyfingers (bhindi)
- 10-12 cluster beans (gawar)
- 2 brinjals (each cut into 4 pieces)
- 2 tomatoes (cut into big chunks)
- 2 tomatoes (pureed)
- 2 green chillies (finely chopped)
- 1 inch ginger (chopped / grated)
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp tamarind pulp
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander leaves (finely chopped)
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp oil
How to make Sindhi Kadhi :
- Heat oil in a deep pan.
- Saute cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds and curry leaves on a low flame.
- Add gram flour and stir continue, till fragrant and besan turns little golden in color.
- Add asafoetida and mix continue until smooth.
- When the besan is turned into a nice golden color, mix tomato puree along with 4 cups of water.
- Keep the flame medium high and stir continue to avoid the burning.
- Add potatoes and drumsticks and mix well.
- Shallow fry the bhindi, guar and brinjal pieces and mix into the kadhi.
- Now stir in chunks of tomatoes, salt, red chilli powder and turmeric powder.
- Mix very well and cover the pan by keeping a heavy weight on the lid, so that vegetables (specially potatoes) tenders well and a nice color of kadhi comes out.
- After 5-6 minutes, when kadhi starts boiling, add tamarind pulp and mix well.
- Cook for 2-3 more minutes, garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with steamed rice or jeera rice.