Sai Bhaji is the famous main course recipe made with spinach or palak, chana dal and spices. It is one of the popular recipes of not only in Sindhi cuisine but also in various other communities as well. Sai Bhaji is a delicious green leafy vegetable recipe, which is also known as the Signature Dish of Sindhi Community.
Palak has a major portion of vitamins and irons. You can make it in various ways but the palak which is made in chana dal and in Sindhi style is really amazing. Try it definitely in your own kitchen and enjoy Sindhi Style Sai Bhaji with brown pulao or yellow rice.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Ingredients required for making Sai Bhaji Recipe:
- 2 bunches of spinach (palak)
- 1 cup chana dal (split bengal gram)
- 1 big onion chopped
- 5-6 tomatoes chopped
- 4-5 green chillies chopped
- 8-10 garlic cloves chopped
- 2 inch ginger minced
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/6 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 2 tsp cooking oil
- Salt to taste
How to make Sai Bhaji Recipe:
- Wash and soak chana dal in 2 cups of water for about 20 minutes.
- Wash the chopped palak and squeeze out the whole water.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker and add chopped onion. Saute till onion is translucent and then add chopped ginger, garlic and green chilies.
- Saute for one more minute and add chopped tomatoes.
- Cook tomatoes for a few minutes on low flame till turns little mushy.
- Add chopped palak and soaked dal. Also mix in red chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder and salt to taste.
- Cover and cook for few minutes, till palak starts leaving its water.
- Uncover and now add garam masala powder along with cumin powder. Mix in about 1/2 cup of water and cover the pressure cooker with its lid.
- Cook on high flame for 6 whistles.
- Open the cooker and check if palak is too dry then add little more water. Mash with an electronic hand blender or with wooden spatula.
- Keep it again on a medium flame for a few seconds. Your Sindhi style Sai Bhaji is ready to serve.
- Serve with Bhuga Chawal and fry aloo.