Sarson Ka Saag is simple yet tastiest spinach recipe. This is the unique Punjabi delicacy cooked in the combination of healthy leaves such as spinach, bathuwa and mustard. This recipe is rich in calcium and iron, hence can be eaten on daily basis and in Punjab sarson ka saag is specially served with makki ki roti.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 30-35 minutes
Servings: 4 persons
- 1 bunch spinach (palak)
- 1 cup bathua
- 2 cups mustard leaves
- 1 onion thinly chopped
- 4 green chillies thinly chopped
- 2 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- A pinch of asafoetida
- 1 tbsp maize flour
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp ghee
- Salt to taste
How to make Sarson Ka Saag:
- Chop the spinach and bathua leaves finely and wash in normal running water.
- Heat the pressure cooker and melt the ghee in it.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and green chillies.
- Saute for few seconds and add thinly chopped onion.
- Saute until onion translucent.
- Now add chopped spinach, bathua, salt and 1 cup water.
- Mix very well.
- After few minutes the spinach starts to tender.
- At this moment mix all the ingredients very well and again add 1-1/2 cups of water.
- Cover the pressure cooker and wait for 4 whistles.
- Uncover and blend little bit with the help of hand blender.
- Again keep on high heat until sarson ka saag thickens.
- Serve hot with makki ki roti, paratha or naan.
- You can add the tomato puree, if spinach tastes bitter.
- Another method to cook sarson ka saag is that first boil the spinach and bathua with salt and then cook in the pan with other ingredients. In this way too you can make this delicious recipe.