Mushroom Aloo Matar is simple and tasty masala recipe, in which mushroom, potatoes and handful green peas (matar) are cooked in rich tomato gravy. It is the most famous Punjabi masala recipe. Mushrooms are simply irresistible after cooking and when they are cooked along with peas and potatoes then it really spread its aroma all over. Serve delicious and flavorful Mushroom Aloo Matar with roti, naan or puri.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 35 minutes
- 200 gms button mushrooms
- 2 hand fulls frozen green peas
- 2 potatoes (peeled and cubed)
- 1 big onion sliced
- 4-5 tomatoes chopped
- 4 green chillies chopped
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 1 inch ginger minced
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp butter
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- Fresh coriander leaves chopped
- Salt to taste
How to make Mushroom Aloo Matar:
- Heat the oil in a pan and add cumin seeds along with the sliced onion.
- Fry onion until nicely brown.
- Remove from the pan and let to cool.
- In a sauce pot cook the potatoes until just tender and set aside.
- In a blending bowl add fried onion with cumins and chopped tomatoes.
- Blend into a smooth red puree.
- Heat a pan and melt butter.
- Add green chillies, garlic paste and minced ginger.
- Saute for few minutes on low flame.
- Add red puree, salt, red chilli powder and stir.
- Cook for 4 minutes and combine mushroom, peas and coriander powder.
- Mix well, add fennel seeds and 1/2 cup of water to make a medium thick paste.
- Cover the pan and Cook on low flame for about 12 minutes.
- Add the cooked potatoes and garam masala powder.
- Cook for 2 more minutes and garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
- You can use fresh green peas instead of frozen, the taste will be same.
- Use oil if you do not like butter.
- For garnishing you can use dry fruits, like cashew nuts and raisins, it gives richness to this recipe.