Here some healthy vegetables such as beans, cauliflower, carrot, pumpkin, etc are cooked in coconut milk and spices and flavored with seeds and tamarind. This is very famous South Indian dish named as Mixed Vegetables In Coconut Milk Recipe.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 1 cup beans (kali seim ki phalli) chopped
- 2 medium size potatoes
- 1 cup carrot chopped
- 1/2 cup cauliflower (phool gobi) chopped
- 1/2 cup red pumpkin (kadhu) chopped
- 1/2 cup green peas (matar) (shelled)
- 2 cups coconut (narial) (scraped)
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 tsp black gram split (urad dal)
- 1 tsp mustard seeds (raai)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tbsp coriander seeds
- Few curry leaves (kari patta)
- 6 cloves garlic (lasan) chopped
- 4 whole Kashmiri red chillies
- 3 tbsp tamarind (imli) pulp
- 1 tsp turmeric (haldi) powder
- 4 tbsp groundnut (moong fali) oil
- Salt to taste
How to make Mixed Vegetables in Coconut Milk:
- Dissolve the tamarind in 1 cup of water and keep aside.
- Peel, wash and chop the potatoes in medium size cubes and place them in normal water.
- Add 1 cup of warm water to one cup of scraped coconut and extract thick and thin milk. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan and add whole red chillies, cumin seeds, mustard seeds, coriander seeds and curry leaves.
- Saute for few seconds until seeds starts to splutter and then add chopped garlic.
- Mix the coconut very well and turn the heat off.
- Allow the mixture to cool down and then grind into a fine paste.
- Boil the vegetables in 2-1/2 cups of water and drain aside.
- Now heat the same pan and add boiled vegetables, ground coconut paste, milk, salt, tamarind and turmeric powder.
- Cook on medium high flame for 8-10 minutes.
- Add urad dal and continue cooking till the vegetables are done.
- Serve hot with steamed rice or plain Indian roti.