Aloo Bhindi Masala (Gravy) is a simple Indian Vegetarian dish, cooked with aloo and bhindi. Here I have made the spicy and flavorful masala gravy of onion, tomatoes and spices and then cooked aloo and bhindi in it.
This aloo bhindi recipe can be easily packed up for the lunch box or school tiffin as well. You can serve it with hot Indian Phulka’s, puri or even with parathas, it is very tasty to serve with any of Indian bread. Let’s start making it.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 250 gms okra / bhindi, cut into tiny pieces
- 2 medium size potatoes, chopped
- 2 onions chopped
- 4 tomatoes, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 inch ginger, crushed
- 5-6 green chillies
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp amchoor powder
- 2 tsp oil
- Fresh coriander leaves chopped
- Salt to taste
Whole garam masala:
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 peppercorns
- 2 cloves
- 1 green cardamom
- 1 black cardamom
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp poppy seeds (khus-khus)
- 1/2 inch cinnamon stick cut into pieces
How to make Aloo Bhindi Gravy:
- Clean the ladies finger properly, pat dry with the help of kitchen napkin.
- Cut the head and tail of the bhindi’s and slit it in the middle to check and then cut into tiny pieces.
- Heat oil in a pan and saute whole garam masala for a few seconds.
- Add chopped onion and stir fry till onion is little cooked.
- Add ginger, garlic and green chilies and saute continue, and then add chopped tomatoes.
- Mix in red chili powder, turmeric powder and salt to taste.
- Keep mixing till tomatoes turn mushy and oil begins to separate.
- Now add chopped bhindi and potatoes and stir in coriander powder and dry mango powder.
- Add about 1/2 cup of water and cover the pan.
- Reduce the flame and leave to cook for about 10 minutes.
- Garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves and serve with Indian chapati, puri or naan.
You can shallow fry aloo and bhindi before adding into onion-tomato gravy.