Mattar Paneer Recipe is the tasty combination of paneer and green peas, both are simply cooked in spicy and sweet flavored gravy. It is one of the popular Indian dish that contains a rich and creamy blend of spices. This tasty vegetarian recipe is mostly famous in New Delhi and Punjab.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 150 gms frozen matar (green peas)
- 200 gms cottage cheese (paneer)
- 2 tsp chopped ginger- garlic
- 4 green chillies paste
- 2 onions finely chopped
- 4 tomatoes pureed
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 1/2 tsp kitchen king powder
- 1 cup fresh yogurt (curd)
- Fresh coriander leaves chopped
- cooking oil
- Salt to taste
How to make Mattar Paneer:
- Cut the paneer in cubes or squares, deep fry in sufficient oil to a light brown color and keep aside.
- Heat up a pan, add 1 tsp of oil, as the oil heats add cumin seeds.
- When the cumin seeds start crackling then add green chillies and chopped ginger-garlic.
- Saute for 2 minutes on low flame.
- Add onions and cook for 3 minutes.
- Check the color of onions, if they are turned into light brown color then add green peas and 1 cup of water.
- Add salt, red chilli powder, turmeric powder and coriander powder.
- Cover the pan and cook on medium heat until peas become tender.
- Now add tomato puree and mix well.
- Add yogurt and fried paneer.
- Add garam masala powder and kitchen king powder.
- Combine peas and paneer into all spices and yogurt.
- Cover the pan and let it cook for 5 minutes on low heat.
- Add fresh coriander leaves and serve hot with plain rice or chapati.
- For thicken the gravy you may add 1 tbsp cornstarch diluted in 3 tbsp of water.
- You can add fresh cream instead of yogurt.