Mushroom Malai is the exotic creamy mixture of cheese, cream, yogurt and spices. Mushrooms are simply cooked in delicious gravy made with cream i.e malai. You can use homemade or store bought cream in this and all dairy products such as ghee, yogurt, cheese and cream are important ingredients in this recipe.
Punjabi’s love to serve Mushroom Malai with their special buttery roti or butter naan. It is heavy in calories hence must be cooked and eaten occasionally and proportionately.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
- 250 gm canned mushroom
- 1 medium size onion finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes finely chopped
- 1 inch ginger chopped
- 6-7 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 cup processed cheese
- 2 tbsp fresh cream
- 2 tbsp thick yogurt (curd)
- 2-3 green chillies finely chopped
- 1/2 tbsp ghee
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 3/4 tsp garam masala powder
- Salt to taste
How to make mushroom malai:
- Combine the yogurt, cream and processed cheese in a bowl.
- Mix very well and keep aside.
- Wash the mushrooms in normal water and cut into thin slices.
- Melt the ghee in a non-stick pan and add green chillies, ginger and garlic.
- Saute for 1-2 minutes on very low flame and add chopped onion.
- Fry until onion turns into little pinkish in color.
- Add tomatoes and sliced mushrooms.
- Add salt and mix very well.
- Cook for 4-5 minutes and add 2 cups of water.
- Cook until gravy thickens and mushroom tenders.
- Add the spices and cheese mixture.
- Reduce the flame and coat the mushrooms very well with the creamy mixture.
- Cook only for 2 more minutes and immediately remove from the heat.
- Serve piping hot either as a snack dish or appetizer.
- Do not add more amount of water if you want to serve this dish dry with roti or as a side dish with any gravy/curry recipe.