Poha Idli is the unique mixture of beaten rice (poha) and semolina (rawa). It is a great South Indian dish which is to be made in traditional style.
The preparation is little bit of same like normal idli, but the taste is totally different because of poha and rawa. This idli is very healthy and tasty to eat. Learn to make soft and fluffy Poha Idli to enjoy a light weight snack dish.
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Fermenting Time: 5-6 hours
Servings: 20 idli’s
- 2 cups suji (semolina, idli rawa)
- 1 cup poha (beaten rice)
- 1/4 cup urad dal (whole skinned split black lentils)
- A pinch of soda bicarbonate
- 1 teaspoon cooking oil
- Salt to taste
How to make Poha Idli:
- Wash and soak the urad dal in good amount of water for about 5-6 hours.
- After 5-6 hours blend the dal, use a little amount of water and make a smooth paste.
- Also blend the semolina and poha, make a smooth batter.
- Now you may combine both the batters thoroughly.
- Add salt as per the taste and a pinch of soda bicarbonate.
- Cover and keep aside for fermentation, which will take about 5-6 hours.
- Now heat the steamer of idli’s by filling the bottom with the water and apply some oil on the plates of Idli maker.
- Spoonful of the batter into greased idli moulds and arrange them in the steamer.
- Leave to cook 15 minutes on high flame and keep checking in between.
- Serve hot with coconut chutney and sambar.
- If you do not have time to keep the batter for long time, then after mixing the batter, keep the vessel in the warm water for about 30 minutes and then make the idli’s.
- Be careful while adding the water, this batter should be neither too thin nor too thick in consistency.