Rajma Masala is the most famous North Indian Recipe. Rajma are Red kidney beans and here they are simply cooked in a curry form, with onion and tomato based masala.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
- 1-1/2 cups Rajma (Red kidney beans), soaked in 4 cups water overnight
- A pinch of asafoetida
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 2 green cardamom (small elaichi)
- 2 black cardamom (big elaichi)
- 2-3 black peppercorns
- 1/4 tsp mace powder (Javitri)
- 1/2 Star anise
- 2 tsp ginger-garlic paste
- 2-3 green chillies, fine chopped
- 1 big onion, fine chopped
- 4 tomatoes, pureed
- 1/2 tsp kasuri methi
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- 1/2 tsp amchoor (dry mango powder)
- 2 tbsp milk cream
- 2 tbsp ghee
- Fresh coriander leaves, fine chopped
- Salt to taste
How to make Rajma Masala :
- Wash rajma very well in water and soak in 4 cups of water either for 5-6 hours or for overnight.
- On the next day morning, pressure cook soaked rajma for up to 6 whistles or cook in a large pot of water till soft.
- Melt the ghee in a frying pan.
- Add cumin seeds, bay leaf and whole garam masala.
- Saute for a while and add asafoetida.
- After few seconds of sauteing, add chopped onion.
- Cook with continue stirring, till the onion turns soft and the oil separates.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and green chillies.
- Saute for few more seconds and then mix tomato puree.
- Now add salt to taste and mix well.
- Add kasuri methi and remaining dry spices.
- Mash the spices in tomatoes and cook till masala well blended.
- Add cooked rajma with the residue water left while pressure cooking it.
- Cover and cook for 5-6 minutes.
- Finally mix fresh cream and chopped coriander leaves.
- Cook for another 2 more minutes.
- Turn the heat off and let dal to site for 10-15 minutes, for the flavors to blend.
- Remove to a serving bowl and serve with roti, naan, steamed or jeera rice.
Chef Tip :
Recommended Recipes for you: