Teen Dal is a unique combination of all three healthy lentils which are cooked in Indian spices. This recipe is the specialty of Sindhi Cuisine. This dal really tastes great when is soaked overnight. But sometimes I forget to keep it for overnight and then make all of sudden in the lunch time. Then too it tastes delicious because of my method of cooking and serving. Try to cook in my style and serve along with rice and any dry dish to enjoy a proper meal.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 1/2 cup urad dal
- 1/2 cup chana dal
- 1/2 cup moong masoor dal
- 6-8 tomatoes chopped
- 1 inch ginger minced
- 6-8 cloves garlic minced
- 4 green chillies chopped
- 4-5 curry leaves
- 1/2 tsp asafoetida (hing)
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp dry mango powder
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- Salt to taste
How to make Teen Dal:
- Mix all three dals in a bowl.
- Wash and clean them thoroughly 2-3 times in normal water.
- Soak the mixed dal in 1 glass of water and keep aside.
- In the meantime heat a pressure cooker and add 1 tsp of oil.
- In the heating oil add chopped tomatoes, salt, asafoetida, red chilli powder and turmeric powder.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes on low flame.
- Mix dal along with its water and add 1 more cup of water.
- Cover the pressure cooker and leave to cook for 12- 13 minutes. (about 6-8 whistles)
- Open the pressure cooker and add water to make the thin dal as it should not be too thick.
- Keep on boil on low flame.
- Heat a sauce pan and add 1tsp oil.
- As oil heats add curry leaves, cumin seeds and mustard seeds.
- Allow them to crackle and then add green chillies and minced ginger-garlic.
- Mix well and add this mixture into the boiling dal.
- Add dry mango powder and lots of chopped fresh coriander leaves.
- Serve with jeera rice or chapati along with fried potatoes.
- You can add chopped onion for more flavor.
- I have added yellow moong dal where as green moong dal also can be added.
- Soak all three dals overnight and then cook it in next morning to make it more tasty.