Gujarati Trevti Dal is a very famous dal dish in every restaurant of India. A relish combination of chana dal, moong dal and tuvar dal, cooked in onions, tomatoes, ginger and garlic.
Prep time: 5
Total time: 25
- 1/2 cup Chana dal
- 1/2 cup Tuvar dal
- 1/2 cup Moong dal
- 4 green chillies finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 inch ginger minced
- 1 big onion finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes chopped
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 3 tbsp cooking oil
- Fresh coriander leaves chopped
For tempering of dal you will require:
- A pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 4 cloves
- 2 Kashmiri red chillies
How to make Trevti Dal:
- Soak all the dals at least for one hour separately in bowls.
- Combine and pressure cook the dals until tenders and then Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and stir fry the tempering ingredients until slightly browned.
- Add ginger, garlic, chillies and stir fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add chopped onions and tomatoes, and season with salt and turmeric powder.
- Stir continue on medium flame until the mixture is done.
- Mash the cooked dal and add 4 cups of water.
- Again keep dal on a medium high flame until it boils for few minutes.
- Finally add lemon juice and good amount of coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with rice, roti and papad.