Gujarati Kadhi is the tasty blend of besan, curd and spices. Learn how to make Gujarati Kadhi with the true spices and aroma of Gujarat and serve a great main course dish with rice and salad.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
- 1 cup bengal gram flour (besan)
- 1-1/2 cup sour curd
- 4 green chillies thinly chopped
- 1 inch ginger minced
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- A pinch of dried mango powder
- 1/2 tbsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- Fresh cilantro chopped
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp onion seeds (kalonji)
- 4-5 curry leaves chopped
- Salt to taste
How to make Gujarati Kadhi:
- Whisk the curd in a big bowl and add 2 cups of water.
- Mix very well and keep the curd mixture aside.
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan.
- Add ginger and green chillies.
- Saute on low flame for few seconds.
- Now add besan and stir constantly.
- Add salt and other spices.
- Mix well and add the curd mixture.
- Stir continuously without leaving any lump in the kadhi.
- Heat 1tsp oil in a sauce pan and add curry leaves, onion seeds and mustard seeds.
- Mix and allow the seeds to crackle.
- Add the crackling mixture into the kadhi and leave for few boils.
- Finally garnish with chopped cilantro and serve with rice of your choice.
- If you are not serving Gujarati Kadhi immediately, then you might will have to add water again just before serving, it’s because this kadhi gets thick after 30 minutes.
- You can add spluttering whole garam spices to make this kadhi more flavorful.