Undhiyo is the most famous Gujarati delicacy, cooked with potatoes, brinjals and some unique ingredients. This dish can be served either as a main dish or as a side dish, however you serve, believe me it is all time hit Gujarati dish.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 1/2 kg medium size potatoes (peeled and chopped)
- 4 bay brinjals (baingan)
- 1 cup broad beans chopped
- 10 cloves garlic paste
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1/2 cup yam (kand)
- 2 tbsp oil
- A pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- 2 cups raw banans (peeled and chopped)
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 3-4 green chillies finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1-1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 tbsp cilantro finely chopped
- Salt to taste
For making Muthiya you will need:
- 1/2 cup Bengal Gram Flour (besan)
- 1/2 cup fenugreek Leaves (kasuri methi)
- 1 inch ginger
- 2-3 green chillies
- Oil for deep-frying
- Salt to taste
How to make Undhiyo :
- Wash the brinjals in normal tap water, slit and cut into 4-5 pieces each.
- Combine all the ingredients of making muthiya without adding oil.
- Make a soft and firm dough.
- Divide the dough into small equal portions and shape each into one-inch long half-inch thick rolls.
- Heat sufficient oil in a deep-fryer.
- Deep fry the prepared rolls till golden brown, remove and keep aside.
- Heat another pan and add 2 tbsp of cooking oil.
- Add mustard seeds along with asafoetida.
- When the seeds starts crackling , add chopped beans, salt and spices.
- Make the layers of rest of the vegetables by spicing up them with some salt and turmeric powder.
- Stir fry for 6-7 minutes on high flame heat.
- Now add 2 cups of water, cover the pan and simmer the flame.
- Leave to cook for about 12-15 minutes.
- Now gently mix the fried muthiyas and again simmer the gas.
- We just need to cook it for last 8-10 minutes at low temperature.
- Gently stir the vegetables occasionally.
- Garnish the dish with grated coconut.
- Serve hot with Indian roti or naan.