Vangi Ani Val is a medium dry main course dish, cooked with eggplant (brinjal) and val beans, flavored with Drumstick leaves and grated coconut.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20-25 minutes
- 2 medium size eggplant (brinjal) cubed
- 1 cups sprouted and skinned Val Beans
- 2 medium size drumsticks ( each cut into 1 inch pieces)
- A pinch of asafoetida
- 1/2 cup coconut (scraped and grated)
- 1 big onion finely chopped
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cayenne powder
- 1-1/2 tsp goda masala
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 2-3 tbsp cooking oil
How to make Vangi Ani Val:
- Boil the drumsticks until are easily opened.
- Drain and set aside.
- Heat the oil and saute the mustard seeds with the asafoetida.
- When the seeds start to pop up, add chopped onions and fry till golden.
- Add the val , eggplant, spices and salt.
- Mix well and add little water and cook until the beans are soft but not mushy.
- Cook over high heat until the water evaporates.
- Remove from the heat and finally mix the grated coconut and drumsticks.
- Stir gently and serve hot.