Turai–Moong Daal Subji is prepared with ridge gourd and yellow moong dal. This is the most healthy and nutritious dish which consists the huge amount of vitamins, proteins and iron and the best thing about this dish is that it is very low in calories and can be made delicious in just little amount of oil.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 2 cups turai (gourd) peeled and chopped
- 1 cup yellow moong dal
- 1 onion thinly chopped
- 2 tomatoes chopped
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 4 green chillies, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 4-5 curry leaves
- A pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- 1/4 tsp dry mango powder
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves chopped
- Salt to taste
How to make Turai Moong Daal Subji:
- Wash and soak the moong dal at least for 20 minutes.
- Heat the pressure cooker, add dal, salt, red chilli powder and turmeric powder.
- Add 1-1/2 cups of water and cook for 4 whistles.
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Add curry leaves and cumin seeds. Leave to crackle.
- Add ginger-garlic and green chillies paste.
- Saute for few seconds and add onion.
- Cook until onion turns to soft.
- Add tomatoes and asafoetida.
- Mix well and cook for 3-4 minutes on low heat.
- Add gourd, coriander powder, garam masala powder and dry mango powder.
- Stir for few seconds and add milk.
- Cover the pan and leave to cook for 4-5 minutes until gourd tenders.
- Add boiled dal, mix well.
- Simmer the flame and cook again only for couple of minutes.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with roti or rice.
- Add water if requires for making medium thick curry.
- If the gourd is too bitter in taste then add little bit of sugar and mix well.