Onion Pickle is a great accompaniment with delicious Indian food. Enjoy this homemade pickle recipe straight out of the jar or have a bite by wedging it between a chapati / puri or naan. Trust me, there’s nothing quite like an onion pickle to add a punchy zing to your monsoon meal!
Yield: 10 servings
- 2 kg big Onions (Pyaj)
- 3 tsp Onions seeds (Kalonji)
- 4 tsp Red chili pepper (Lal Mirchi)
- 5 tbsp mustard powder (coarsely grounded)
- 2 tsp Black Salt (Kala namak)
- 4 tsp ground spices
- 4 tbsp aniseed powder
- 6 tsp white cumin powder
- 4 tsp Turmeric (Haldi)
- 2 tbsp Salt (Namak) for the masala
- 3 cups Oil
- 6 tsp amchoor (dry mango powder)
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 5 tbsp Salt for onions
How to make Onion Pickle:
- Peel the onions and slit each into 4-6 pieces, keeping intact from the base.
- Rub the onions with 5tbsp of salt and keep them overnight in any jar / container.
- Heat the oil till smoky and cool aside.
- Mix all the dry spices very well and stir in lemon juice and 1/2 cup of oil.
- Fill the prepared masala in onions and pack the onions very well.
- Arrange the stuffed onions in an air tight jar and pour the remaining smoky oil all over on them.
- Finally mix 1/2 tbsp of salt and shake the jar very well.
- Keep aside for 7-8 days, till the pickle is ready to serve.