Learn how to make healthy, homemade Kachalu Pickle by using easily available ingredients. Kachalu or arbi (Colocasia root) is very popular vegetable in Indian households. We generally make fry arbi, arbi with potatoes and many such dishes, but arbi pickle is something unique and tasty as well.
Yield: 15 servings
- 1 kg kachalus (arbi)
- 2 tsp ajwain (carom seeds)
- 10-12 cloves Garlic (Lasun)
- 1 tsp Red chili pepper (Lal Mirchi)
- 1 tsp dry orange colour
- 1 packet of mix ready spices of arbi pickle (store bought)
- 2 tbsp Salt (Namak)
- 2 cups oil for frying
How to make Kachalu Pickle:
- Boil the kachalus until tenders, but make sure that kachalu should not become too soft.
- Cut the boiled kachalus into thick and round pieces.
- Combine the cloves of garlic and ajwain and grind into smooth paste.
- Add salt and remaining ingredients into prepared paste and mix very well.
- Now rub the prepared paste of spices on all the pieces of kachalu.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and drop few pieces of kachalu at a time in hot oil.
- Fry until turns little brown and drain on oil absorbent paper.
- Mix the store bought pack of spices in fried kachalu and allow to cool at room temperature.
- You fresh, homemade kachalu pickle is ready to serve.