Puran Poli is a typical Maharashtrian sweet delicacy made with flour, chana dal and ghee. This is one of the most delicious dessert recipe that makes the special days more special.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 40-45 minutes
Servings: 15 Puran Polis
For making dough you need:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (maida)
- 3/4 cup pure ghee
- A pinch of salt
For the stuffing you need:
- 1 cup chana dal (split bengal gram)
- 1-1/2 cups jaggery (grated)
- 1/2 tsp green cardamom powder
- A pinch of nutmeg powder
- A pinch of saffron
- A pinch of salt
- 1/2 tbsp ghee
How to make Puran Poli:
- Combine the flour, salt and 2 tbp of pure ghee.
- Mix well and knead by adding water to make a soft and smooth dough.
- Cover the dough with damp muslin cloth and set aside at least for an hour.
- Wash the chana dal thoroughly in normal running water and soak for few hours.
- Boil by adding little bit of salt.
- Allow to cool completely and grind the boiled dal coarsely.
- Melt the ghee in a pan and add dal, jaggery, saffron, cardamom and nutmeg powder.
- Mix very well and stir continuously by cooking on medium high flame.
- Cook until dal becomes firm and dry.
- Remove from the flame and set aside.
- Divide the stuffing into 15 equal portions also divide the prepared dough in same amount of portions and make small balls.
- Take a small ball of the dough, roll out little bit and flatten with your palm.
- Stuff a portion of dal in the center, cover and seal the puran poli from all the edges.
- Dust the flour and make a round roti of about 4 inch in diameter with medium thickness.
- Heat a tawa and drizzle some oil.
- Place the puran poli and cook on medium high heat.
- Gently flip and cook from the other side as well.
- Spread a good amount of pure ghee over the cooked puran poli and serve hot.
- Puran poli can be stored for few days in air tight container.
- Generally it can be eaten either as it is or with chilled milk.