Gur Poli is the sweet Gujarati delicacy made with jaggery, wheat flour and maida. It is one of the mouth melting recipe of Punjabi cuisine and is specially loved by the kids.
Preparation time: 10-12 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Servings: 10-12 gur polis
- 2 cups wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (maida)
- 1 cup jaggery shredded
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 cup ghee
- 2 tbsp cardamom powder
- 1/2 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1/2 tsp sesame seeds
- 2-1/2 cup cooking oil
- 1 cup warm water
- Salt to taste
How to make Gur Poli:
- Roast the poppy and sesame seeds for little bit of time.
- Grind together to a coarse powder.
- Melt the ghee and jaggery in a saucepan and keep aside.
- Sieve both the flours in a big bowl and mix well.
- Add seeds powder, salt, sugar, jaggery, ghee and cardamom powder.
- Mix all the ingredients very well with the flours.
- Knead the dough with warm water, cover and keep aside for 30-40 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan.
- Divide the dough into small equal balls and roll out each into thin roundel.
- Flatten with your hand and pour into the hot oil to shallow fry.
- Stir fry the gur-poli on medium temperature until turns into nice golden color from both the sides.
- You can cook it on hot tawa by using little bit of oil just like you cook Indian chapati.
- Enjoy the hot gur-poli as it is or with the spicy chutney.
- These gur-polis can be served cold as well. Still they are awesome.
- You can store them for few days in air tight container.