Gajjar Halwa is made with grated carrots, milk and lots of dry fruits. It is traditional style sweet dish recipe of Punjabi Dessert options. Any extravagant meal is incomplete without any sweet dish. Gajjar Ka Halwa is all time favorite and delicious dessert which can be served warm or cold. It is a mouth watering dessert recipe which is known as best treat to celebrate any festival in India.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 1 kg fresh carrots peeled and shredded
- 2 cups fresh sterilized milk
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- 4 green cardamoms crushed
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp ghee or butter
- 1 tbsp cashew nuts chopped
- 1 tbsp roasted almonds chopped
- 1 tbsp raisins
- 7-8 khajoor (dates fruit) chopped
How to make Gajjar Halwa:
- Melt the butter or ghee in frying pan.
- Add crushed cardamoms and saute for one minute on medium high heat.
- Add the shredded carrots and stir fry for about ten minutes.
- Stir continuously and add sugar.
- Mix well and add poppy seeds.
- Gajjar halwa needs to stir continue to get good color and taste.
- Stir on low heat and mix until carrots become tender and soft.
- Do not add water. The carrots will cook in its own water.
- Add milk and taste the sugar, adjust sweetness in halwa as per your taste.
- Cook until milk dries fully in the carrots and garnish with chopped dry fruits.
- After adding dry fruits, mix well and cook for 3-4 more minutes.
- Do not leave the raw flavor of gajjar, else it will taste bitter.
- You can store gajjar halwa in the refrigerator for 5-6 days and in the freezer for about 1 and 1/2 months.
- Garnish gajjar halwa with your choice of dry fruits, in any ways it will taste great.
- If you do not have time to shred the carrots then you can chop them in the chopper to make gajjar halwa.
- You can add normal white sugar instead of brown sugar.