Chocolate Cake is a pleasing surprise to any party or gathering, it is simply made with the rich cocoa powder, buttermilk, vanilla and all-purpose flour. It brings a perfect chance to celebrate any special day.
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup dark cocoa powder
- 3 large eggs
- 2-1/4 cups sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1-1/2 cups freshly brewed hot coffee
- 1-1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup unsalted Butter
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
For Chocolate Frosting:
- 5 ounces semisweet *Cadbury* chocolate
- 1-1/2 cups unsalted butter
- 2 big egg yolks
- 1-1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp instant coffee powder
- 1-1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- Chocolate Frosting (detail steps given below)
How to make Chocolate Cake:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Grease a round baking pan with some butter.
- Make sure the baking pan is properly lined with parchment paper.
- Sift the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment.
- Mix all the ingredients on a low-speed until well combined.
- In another bowl, combine the buttermilk, oil, eggs, and vanilla.
- While the mixer is going on at low-speed, gradually add the wet ingredients to the dry.
- Now mix the coffee and stir just to combine, scraping the bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 30 minutes, until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan itself for 30 minutes and shift later on a cooling wire rack.
- Place 1 layer, flat side up, on a flat plate or cake pedestal.
- With a knife or offset spatula, spread the top with the prepared frosting.
- Place the second layer on top, rounded side up, and spread the frosting evenly on the top and sides of the cake.
Chocolate Frosting can be easily made in following way:
- Chop the chocolate and place in a heat-proof bowl that must be set over a pan of simmering water.
- Stir until melted and set aside to cool at room temperature.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter on medium-high speed until the mixture becomes light, fluffy and yellow.
- It will take about 4-5 minutes.
- Add the egg yolk and vanilla.
- Continue beating for 2 more minutes.
- Turn the mixer to low by gradually adding the confectioners’ sugar.
- Beat at medium speed, scraping down the bowl as necessary, until smooth and creamy.
- Dissolve the coffee powder in 2 teaspoons of the hottest tap water.
- On low-speed, add the chocolate and coffee to the butter mixture and mix until blended.
- Don’t whip! Spread immediately on the cooled cake.