Pita bread is the famous Middle Eastern bread, served with almost every meal. Now a days, it’ s been used in India as well. You can see variety of Shawarma, roll and falafel served on Mumbai Street’s. They use pita bread for making vegetarian and non-vegetarian wraps. Since long time my friend’s have been asking me the proper way and ingredients for making pita bread at home. Today I just successfully made it in my kitchen, hence sharing with you.
Yield: 8 servings
Ingredients required for making Pita Bread:
- 4 cups all-purpose flour (maida)
- 1 package of yeast, or quick rising yeast
- 2 tsp granulated sugar
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1-1/2 cups lukewarm water
How to make Pita Bread :
- Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup of warm water.
- Mix sugar and stir until dissolved.
- Let sit for 15 minutes until water is frothy.
- Combine flour and salt in a big mixing bowl.
- Make a small area in the middle of flour and pour yeast water in the center.
- Slowly add remaining warm water, and stir with wooden spoon or rubber spatula until elastic.
- Make a smooth and stiff dough with your hands.
- Place dough on floured surface and knead for about 10 minutes.
- When the dough is no longer sticky and is smooth and elastic, cover and keep aside for about 2 hours.
- You will observe that dough is doubled in size.
- Take any big bowl and coat with good amount of cooking oil.
- Place the dough carefully in that bowl and turn upside down, for coating of whole dough.
- Roll out the dough in a rope, and pinch off 15 small pieces.
- Place balls on floured surface and let sit covered for 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven at 400 degrees F and make sure that rack is at the very bottom of oven.
- preheat the baking sheet of oven.
- Roll out each ball of dough with a rolling pin into circles.
- Try to make a round roti of about 5-6 inches across and 1/4 inch thick.
- Bake each circle for 3-4 minutes until the bread puffs up.
- Turn over and bake for 2 more minutes.
- Remove each pita with the help of spatula and slightly push down puff.
- Immediately place in storage bags.
- Homemade Pita Bread is ready to serve with meal.
- You can use this pita bread for making chicken tikka wrap, paneer tikka kathi roll, paneer shawarma roll and many more such recipes.
Chef Tips :
- Pita bread can be stored for up to a week in a pantry or bread box.
- You can freeze this bread up to a month in the freezer.
- Make sure to use freezer bags when storing in the freezer.
- This homemade pita bread can be eaten with meal or can be used for making falafel, sandwiches and several other wraps.