Sundal is the perfect festival dish, made with chickpeas and coconut and flavored with mustard and urad dal. It is one of the most famous Indian snack dish also known as Channa Sundal recipe. Festivals are more enjoyable when all types of dishes, like sweet, spicy and savory are served. Let’s see how can we make this savory snack at home.
Yield: 4 servings
- 2 cups Chick peas /channa /garbanzo beans
- 1/2 cup coconut, grated
- 1/2 cup raw mango, finely chopped
For the seasoning you will require:
- 2 tsp urad dal
- 3 whole red chillies, cut into 2 pieces
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- A pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- Few curry leaves, finely chopped
- 4 tsp cooking oil
How to make Sundal :
- Soak chickpeas in water for overnight.
- Next morning, rinse them well and refresh with water.
- Put them in a pressure cooker, add some salt and cook for 4-5 whistles, until turns soft.
- Drain the cooked chickpeas and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds.
- Allow the seeds to splutter and then add asafoetida, green chillies, curry leaves and urad dal.
- Fry for few seconds, till urad dal turns golden brown.
- Add raw mango and saute for a few minutes.
- Mix cooked channa, salt and grated coconut and give it a nice stir.
- Channa sundal is ready to serve.