Vella Kozhukattai (Sweet Modak) are the dumpling with assorted fillings. Good amount of rice flour and a traditional sweet filling of jaggery-coconut is used. It is a must sweet dish during festival of Ganesh Chaturthi / Vinayaka Chaturthi.
Yield: 10 servings
For making the Cover of sweet modak you will require:
- 2 cups rice flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 2-1/2 cups water
For the Jaggery Coconut filling (Vella poornam) you will require:
- 2 cups fresh coconut, scrapped and grated
- 1 cup powdered Jaggery
- 1/2 tsp cardamom powder
How to make Vella Kozhukattai (Sweet Modak) :
- For making the filling, mix the jaggery and coconut in the heating skillet.
- Cook on low flame until jaggery starts melting and the mixture becomes thick.
- Add cardamom powder and toss very well.
- Make sure to make a thick mixture. If the mixture doesn’t seems thick, then add little bit of rice flour and few drops of melted ghee.
- Cook for few more seconds and then your mixture will turn thickened.
- Let’s starts preparing the cover, for that bring the water on few boils and add salt and ghee.
- Remove 1/2 cup of water and keep aside.
- Add the rice flour into boiling water and keep stirring.
- If the mixture looks too dry and not sticky, then add the additional boiled water you set aside, till it comes together.
- Let it sit for few minutes until it cools down and becomes enough to handle.
- Grease your hands with Ghee and start kneading the dough.
- Grease your palms well and break off a small piece from the dough.
- Make sure, you should be able to rotate the dough into an extremely smooth ball.
- Try to keep it in between dipping your fingers and greasing it with ghee and warm water for preparing the rest of the steps.
- With the help of your thumb and other fingers , make a small crater in the ball you made, like an inverted cone.
- Slowly rotate and go around making this crater until it looks little bigger.
- You are need to make sufficiently big enough to be able to drop in the rounds of filling you made earlier.
- Drop the sweet filling you made into the depression.
- Very slowly brings the ends together over the top of the filling.
- Bring it together so that you can pinch the top and can sealing the filling.
- Pinch to make a small horn.
- You can always pinch off excess dough and shape the remaining to look like a beak.
- Repeat with rest of the dough and steam them for 12-15 minutes.
- It will be done, when the color slightly changes and the cover becomes little translucent.
- Enjoy them warm.