Vegetable Hyderabadi Biryani is an authentic preparation of long grain rice in the flavored spices, topped with layers of ghee, vegetables and other flavorsome ingredients. It is truly a shahi style biryani recipe, which melts everybody’s mouth when is to be presented.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 onion cut into slices and shuffled
- 2 tsp ginger-garlic paste
- 4 green chillies cut into thin slices
- 1 cup french beans, chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen /fresh green peas (mattar)
- 1/2 cup cauliflower florets chopped
- 1 tbsp curd
- 2 tbsp ghee
- A pinch of saffron
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp biryani masala
- 1/2 tsp cardamom powder
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup mint (pudina) paste
- 1/4 cup coriander (dhania) paste
- Oil to deep fry
- Salt to taste
Whole garam masala:
- 2 bay leaves (tej patta)
- 2 cloves (lavang / laung)
- 1 black cardamom (big elaichi)
- 2 green cardamoms (small elaichi)
- 1 dried kashmiri red chilli
- 1 inch cinnamon (dalchini)
- 3-4 peppercorns (whole kali mirchi)
For garnishing you need:
- 1 tsp dried fenugreek leaves (kasuri methi)
- Few cashew nuts sliced
- Few almonds sliced
- Few raisins
How to make Vegetable Hyderabadi Biryani:
- Wash and soak the rice in the water for about 10 minutes.
- Boil them until each grain looks separate.
- Heat sufficient oil in a pan and deep fry the slices of onion.
- Fry until they turn into crispy golden brown in color.
- Fry the onion evenly, drain on an absorbent paper and keep aside.
- Dissolve the saffron in the milk and keep aside.
- Heat the pan and add 1 tsp of oil.
- Add whole garam masala and saute well.
- Now add ginger-garlic paste and slices of green chillies.
- Cook on medium high heat until saute well.
- Add chopped beans, green peas, cauliflower and mint and coriander paste. Also mix salt to taste.
- Stir in curd, red chilli powder and turmeric powder.
- Add 1/2 cup of water and cook the veggies until tender.
- Add lemon juice and biryani masala and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Switch off the gas and take out this gravy from the vessel.
- Now lets make the layers.
- Turn on the gas and keep the same pan on the low heat.
- Add 1 tsp of ghee, half of the gravy made, half of the cooked rice, 1 tbsp saffron with its milk, half of fried onions, half of the ingredients of garnishing.
- Repeat the same procedure again and arrange the remaining spices and gravy along with the rice. Also add cardamom powder this time.
- Pour the whole remaining ghee and cover the lid tightly.
- Leave to cook on low flame for about 5 minutes on dum.
- Vegetable Hyderabadi biryani is ready to serve with boondi raita or mixed veg raita.
- For making this biryani you have to go step by step, in this way you can make restaurant style biryani.
- Add more spices if you like spicy biryani.
- You can add your choice of vegetables, but make sure you have to cook all of them evenly.