Hyderabadi Mutton Biryani is the authentic preparation of goat meat cooked with the basmati rice. This biryani is one of the most famous and tastiest biryani’s in India. This particular biryani is flavored with the rich Indian spices, brown onions, coriander and mint leaves.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 50 minutes
Servings: 4-5 persons
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 1/2 kg goat meat on bone
- 4 onions thinly chopped
- 4 tomatoes pureed
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cloves
- 3-4 peppercorns
- 1 dried red chilli
- 1 black cardamom
- 1 inch ginger minced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 6 green chillies silted
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup brown onions
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- Fresh coriander leaves chopped
- Few mint leaves chopped
- Salt to taste
For the marinade you need:
- 1 cup thick yogurt (curd or dahi)
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp brown onions
- 2 tbsp coriander chopped
- 1 tbsp mint leaves chopped
- Salt as per the taste
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp ghee
How to make Hyderabadi Mutton Biryani:
- Wash and clean the mutton 3-4 times thoroughly in the water.
- Chop them into some pieces. Few pieces should be with bone and few boneless.
- Combine all the ingredients of marinade in a bowl. Mix well and add the pieces of mutton.
- Mix well and keep this marinated mutton aside at least for 30 minutes.
- Wash and boil the rice in 4 cups of water.
- Add little bit of salt and mix well. Boil until rice are 3/4th done.
- Heat the pressure cooker and add oil.
- When the oil heats then add cumin seeds, leave to crackle.
- Add whole garam masala and saute for a couple of minutes on low flame.
- Add green chillies and ginger-garlic paste.
- Saute for few seconds and add onion.
- Fry onion for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the puree of tomatoes along with the marinated mutton.
- Cook for 5-6 minutes by stirring continuously.
- Now the mutton will start leaving its water.
- At this moment add 1-1/2 cups of water.
- Adjust with the salt and other spices.
- Cover the pressure cooker with its lid and wait for 6-8 whistles.
- Heat the pan add half quantity of the cooked mutton.
- Make one layer of rice.
- Sprinkle some brown onions, cardamom powder, garam masala powder, coriander and mint leaves.
- Now spread the remaining mutton, then rice and make the layers of remaining ingredients.
- Cover the pan and leave to cook for 4 more minutes.
- Serve hot with raita and roasted papad.
- You can use chopped tomatoes instead of tomato puree.
- The whistles of pressure cooker depends upon the kind of meat you have, it means if the meat is hard then get more whistles, if it is soft then less whistles. Ultimately you meet should be tender and cooked well.
- For making brown onions, you just need to cut the onion into thin slices, shuffle and deep fry in hot oil until golden brown in color, remove on oil absorbent paper.
Recommended Recipes for you: