Hyderabadi Chicken Biryani is a nawabi and aromatic preparation of basmati rice and chicken with the tempered whole spices. It is one of the awesome biryani recipe contains lots of flavors and spices. Learn how to make step by step Hyderabadi Chicken Biryani Recipe.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
- 400 gms whole chicken
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 4 onions sliced
- 2 tomatoes chopped
- 2 cups fresh yogurt
- 2 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 5-6 green chillies chopped
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp green cardamom powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- 1/2 fresh lemon juice
- A pinch of saffron
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 cup fresh coriander leaves chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh mint leaves chopped
- 4 tbsp ghee
- Vegetable oil
- Salt to taste
Whole garam masala:
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 black cardamom
- 2-3 peppercorns
- 1/2 inch cinnamon stick
- 1/2 tsp carom seeds
- 2-3 cloves
- 1 dried red chilli
How to make Hyderabadi Chicken Biryani:
- In a big bowl, cut the pieces of chicken in big chunks, wash and clean thoroughly.
- Combine yogurt, the ground masala paste, salt, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, garam masala and lemon juice.
- Mix well. Add the pieces of chicken, also add 2 tsp oil.
- Keep this marinated chicken aside for about 2-3 hours.
- Heat sufficient oil in a pan, deep fry the onion and take out immediately after it turns into golden brown in color. Keep aside to cool.
- In a blender combine half of the fried onion, chopped tomatoes, green chillies, ginger, garlic, mint leaves and coriander leaves.
- Blend to make a smooth paste.
- Soak the saffron in the milk and keep aside, as it will be used later.
- Wash the rice thoroughly in water, soak for about 10 minutes.
- Boil the rice in plenty amount of water, add little bit of salt and whole garam masala.
- When the rice are 3/4th done then drain and keep in the sieve.
- Remove out the whole garam masala ingredients, as they were just for flavoring rice, which is quite done.
- Heat the pan or kadhai, melt 2 tbsp of ghee.
- Now place half quantity of marinated chicken with its whole marination.
- Then cover the chicken with the layer of rice.
- Sprinkle some fried onions, half of the cardamom powder, chopped coriander and saffron.
- Also add the remaining ghee.
- Again repeat the same procedure and arrange the remaining chicken, rice and other ingredients.
- Cover the pan with the tight lid.
- Leave to cook for about 20-22 minutes on low flame.
- Check twice in between and fluff up with a fork.
- Check the tenderness of chicken, if it is cooked fully, then turn off the gas.
- Serve hot with raita or as it is.
- Follow the whole procedure of making this biryani, you will definitely get the taste of restaurant style biryani.
- If you do not have saffron then use little bit of red orange food color.
- Serve biryani immediately, else it will become dry while eating.
- For enjoying the delicious restaurant style Hyderabadi biryani, you have to use good amount of ghee.