Have you ever thought that normal basmati rice can be easily turned into sweet and tangy flavored rice dish. That’s the trick, I have just added good amount of jaggery and tamarind to make this South Indian Rice Recipe, that is famously known as Tamarind Rice dish.
Yield: 4 servings
- 4 cups basmathi rice
- 1/2 tsp asafoetida
- 3 tsp fenugreek
- 1 tablespoon boiled green peas (optional)
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 cup tamarind juice
- 2 tbsp jaggery
- 2 tsp mustard
- 4 big red chillies
- 2 tsp roasted chana dal
- 3 tbsp sesame oil
- Few curry leaves
- 2 tbsp roasted peanuts
- Salt to taste
How to make Tamarind Rice:
- Pressure Cook the rice by adding 8 cups of water and salt to taste.
- Spread the cooked rice onto a flat dish or plate and set aside.
- Heat little bit of oil in a pan and mix fenugreek, asafoetida and jaggery very well into it.
- Saute for few seconds, till jaggery melts.
- Cool the mixture and grind into a fine paste.
- Again heat little oil in the same pan and at this time, fry whole red chillies, chana dal, curry leaves and mustard very well.
- Carefully mix the prepared mixture with tamarind juice.
- Also add the prepared jaggery paste in the same mixture and mix very well.
- Put the tamarind vessel on a medium high heat and stir continue until it reaches to a thick gravy form.
- Pour the tamarind gravy into cooked rice and mix very well.
- Spread roasted peanuts, boiled green peas, turmeric powder and 1 tsp of sesame oil and mix again.
- Serve piping hot.