Moong dal halwa is the special delicacy of Indian Desserts. Ground moong dal is cooked in the dessert ingredients and turns into delicious halwa recipe. It is so easy and simple to make tasty moong dal ka halwa, which is a perfect sweet dish to enjoy the parties and festivals. This halwa is the specialty of Rajasthani cuisine, but very famous and demanded halwa over all in India.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Servings: 4 persons
- 1 cup moong dal (yellow split lentils)
- 3/4 cup ghee
- 4-5 green cardamoms crushed
- 1 black cardamom crushed
- 1 tsp poppy seeds (khus-khus)
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 cup water
- 1 cup milk
- For garnishing sliced almonds and cashew nuts
How to make Moong dal halwa:
- Soak the moong dal in the water for about 1 hour and then blend into a thick paste.
- Heat ghee in a deep shaped pan and saute the cardamoms.
- Add ground paste of moong dal and cook until it turns into light pink color.
- Stir continue to avoid the lumps, do not leave the raw flavor of the dal.
- On the other side take another pan and dissolve the sugar in boiling water.
- Make a syrup of the sugar by stirring continue and add in to the moong dal. Mix well.
- Add milk and poppy seeds, mix well.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Stir and make a dry halwa.
- Check the consistency of halwa and garnish with sliced almonds and cashew nuts.
- You may use butter instead of ghee.
- You can garnish this halwa with your choice of dry fruits.
- At the time of grinding moong dal, drain whole water and grind to a coarse paste by using very less amount of water.