Yellow Moong Dal is simply a yellow split lentils, cooked in a very simple way and with very limited spices. It is a staple food in India and main source of protein. I have not used any onion or tomato in this dal. It is just a quick way to make tasty and healthy moong dal in flavorful spices. Plain dal is a curry recipe which is perfect to serve with jeera rice. You can use toor dal, chana dal or any type of lentils for making this delicious dal recipe.
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Ingredients required for making Yellow Moong Dal Recipe:
- 1 cup moong dal (yellow dal)
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp oil
- 6-7 cloves garlic, fine chopped
- 1 inch ginger, fine chopped
- 5 green chillies finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 2-3 curry leaves
- A pinch of chaat masala
- A pinch of black pepper
- Fresh cilantro chopped
- Salt to taste
How to make Yellow Moong Dal Recipe:
- Heat up a pressure cooker, add dal, 2 cups of water, salt, red chilli powder and turmeric powder.
- Cover the pressure cooker and wait for 4-5 whistles or until dal is properly cooked.
- Uncover the pressure cooker and add some water to maintain the desired consistency of dal.
- Heat oil in a pan and add curry leaves, cumin seeds and mustard seeds. Allow them to crackle.
- Stir continue and add chopped ginger-garlic along with green chillies.
- Fry for one minute and add chopped tomatoes.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes on medium flame, till tomatoes turns mushy.
- Pour the prepared mixture over the dal and garnish with some finely chopped fresh coriander leaves.
- Serve dal in individual bowls and sprinkle some chaat masala and black pepper.
- Serve delicious hot moong dal with plain jeera rice.
- Do not make this dal too thick or too watery, it should be medium in consistency while serving.
- You can observe that I have used very limited flavors. Customize according to your taste and ingredients. This dal tastes great in any ways.
- You can use butter or ghee instead of oil.
Recommended Recipes for you: