Macchi Ka Salan is the spicy dish cooked with slices of fish, mustard seeds, poppy seeds and grated coconut. A unique blend of sea food is an unimaginable and wonderful recipe.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 350 gm fish (cut into slices)
- 1 big onion sliced
- 3 tsp poppy seeds (khus-khus)
- 2 tbsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp shah jeera
- 1 tbsp white sesame seeds (til)
- 2-3 green chillies
- 1 cup grated coconut
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 2-3 curry leaves
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1-1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 2 tbsp tamarind
- 4 tsp cooking oil
- Salt to taste
How to make Macchi Ka Salan:
- For making the masala, combine the grated coconut, jeera, mustard seeds, poppy seeds, white til and spices.
- Blend altogether to make a smooth paste and keep aside.
- Soak the tamarind in 1 cup of water for 15 minutes, extract the pulp and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan and add sliced onion.
- Fry till onions turns to crisp and golden brown.
- Add the ground paste and stir in for few minutes till the oil separates.
- Add the slices of fish and fry little bit.
- After few minutes of continuous stirring, add coconut milk.
- Finally add tamarind, curry leaves and adjust the dish with some salt.
- Simmer the flame till the gravy thickens.
- Sprinkle the grated coconut and serve hot with roti or jeera rice.