Fish Cake is not any kind of desert, but it is the most delicious and spicy fish cutlet, that is simply presented in form of cake. This quick and easy snack dish is cooked with fish and spices. I know it looks strange from the name, but even though it is not any kind of desert dish, but then too, it is a lovely looking snack dish and a unique way to represent a great evening treat.
Yield: 6 servings
Ingredients required for making Fish Cake:
- 400 gm fish, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 medium potatoes, boiled
- 4 green chillies
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 inch ginger
- 2 eggs
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp chaat masala powder
- 3/4 tsp garam masala powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- Fresh coriander leaves, finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp ghee / oil
- Cooking oil for deep frying
How to make Fish Cake :
- Wash the pieces of fish thoroughly in warm water.
- Take off the skin and keep in the bowl.
- Mash the boiled potatoes very well in another bowl.
- Now put the mashed potatoes and fish pieces in blender.
- Blend for a while into a coarse paste.
- Crush the garlic and mix in fish-potato mixture.
- Also grate the ginger piece in it.
- Finely chop the green chillies and mix well in the mixture.
- Heat the oil in a pan and stir fry the chopped onion until turns soft.
- Now add the prepared fish-potato mixture into the onion and cook on low flame for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir continue by mixing salt and spices.
- Add good amount of freshly chopped coriander and mix well.
- After 3-4 minutes, remove the mixture from flame and transfer it into a big bowl.
- Cover the bowl with a foil paper and refrigerate the mixture at least for an hour.
- Take out the mixture and keep outside refrigerator for 15-20 minutes before frying.
- Heat good amount of oil in a frying pan.
- Divide the mixture into small equal shaped 18-20 balls.
- Shape them into a flat round cakes about 1/2 inch thick.
- Beat the eggs in a bowl.
- Dust the cakes in flour, dip in beaten egg mixture and roll in breadcrumbs.
- Fry the fish cakes few at a time in hot oil over moderate heat, till turns nice and crispy golden brown.
- Drain on oil absorbent paper napkin.
- Serve hot with mint chutney and tomato ketchup.